Wind damage causes millions of dollars of damage in roofs throughout the country. As hurricanes and major storms are becoming increasingly frequent even in areas that used to be safe from such extreme weather events, property owners are paying more attention to protecting their properties, especially their roofs against storm damage – here are some of the most common protection measures available:
- Thorough inspection, followed by repairs – the process starts with cleaning the entire roof area as well as the adjacent parts, such as the gutters. The roof is then inspected inch by inch by a professional roof repair Omaha contractor to identify any weak points and faults, any parts that do not fit properly or have been damaged and are likely to be torn off by the next storm and in the final phase all the issues identified during the inspection are addressed to fortify the roof;
- Landscape adjustments – storms damage roofs not only by ripping off loose or damaged covering components, but also by tearing off tree limbs and dropping them on the roof. The best way to avoid the issue is to cut off any branches that overhang the roof;
- Techniques for stronger fastening – there are various methods, such as special roof harnesses and brackets, that can be used for fixing the roof more tightly to the walls of the building.
via Blogger Tips for Protecting Your Roof Against Wind Damage
There is more than one way how excessive amounts of snow can damage your roof – here are some:
- Pressure – any type of snow is very heavy, putting pressure on the entire surface of the roofs as well as on the gutters. Fresher powder snow is the lightest of all forms of frozen water and the easiest to remove, followed by wet snow and then ice, so the best and easiest way to prevent a roof sagging and roof collapse in winter is to remove the snow as soon as you can;
- The formation of ice dams – when a thick layer of snow settles on a poorly insulated roof, the warm air from inside the home meets the layer of snow that touches directly the roof. As a result, the snow melts into water that runs down on the side of the roof, freezing again, but this time into the form of long, transparent icicles. The icicles, also called ice dams, accumulate at the edge of the roof or on the gutters, stressing these housing components and dragging them down, have them repaired by one of the roofing companies Omaha communities support;
- Leaks – when the thick blanket of snow on your roof melts, the water can easily penetrate into the deeper layers of the roof, causing leaks to appear on the ceilings of your rooms.
via Blogger How Excessive Snowfall Can Hurt Your Roof
Professional roofers offer not only roof maintenance and roof repair services, but assistance with insurance claims for home owners whose roof sustained storm damage. Here is what they can do for you:
- Inspection and documentation – when your roof suffers storm damage, the first task that you should do is to document the damage. Your roofing expert is your best help in the process because roofers know how to detect even the thinnest hairline cracks to take pictures of and to include into the claims documentation;
- Putting together your claims file – your insurer probably has specific procedures that must be observed while preparing and submitting claims files. Your roofer can help you fill in the related forms, include the proof of the damage and submit the file by the deadline;
- Help with negotiations – talking to your insurer, negotiating the amount that you can get in compensation is not easy either. Your roofer can help in this phase as well – he can join you in the negotiations, he can help you with ideas about how to handle the solutions offered by the insurer and he can tell you whether the compensation you have been offered is fair or not. Get the roof repair help you need, even a company that will work with your insurance company, see http://www.candsroofingomaha.com/roof-repair/.
via Blogger Can Roofers Help with Storm Damage Claims?
Roofing safety is essential during the holidays as well, especially as the winter holidays are the time when all the homes are embellished on the outside as well, with many of the decorations installed on the roof. Here is how to have spectacular decorations on your roof without harming your tiles or shingles:
- Use suitable fasteners – nails, needles and stitches destroy roofing covers, puncturing and tearing shingles or cracking clay tiles. Make sure that your decorations are fastened with tape or with special fasteners, such as roof clips, that fix decorations without damaging your roof;
- Use outdoor decorations – many homeowners make the mistake of using light strings intended for indoor use on their roof. Indoor lights cannot resist the weather, what’s more, they are dangerous to use outdoors because they can get short-circuited and cause fires;
- Install your decorations when the light conditions are suitable – it is safer to work on the roof in the morning, when you can see exactly what you are doing and you can watch your step more carefully;
- Avoid stepping on the roof – no matter how sturdy your roof is, avoid stepping on it as much as possible – walking on the roof is harmful for the roof and dangerous for you, It's best to have one of the professional roofing companies Omaha NE is home to, do the work as they know all about the weak parts of a roof.
via Blogger Keeping Your Roof Safe During Holiday Decorating